Our Theory of Change:
We believe our long-term goal of 1,000,000 adults annually improving their literacy skills can be achieved by focusing our activities on three primary goals: (1) Increasing access to adult literacy resources, (2) Improving effectiveness and efficiency of adult literacy programs, (3) Increasing adult education funding.
The Controller reports to the President/CEO and provides the board of directors and the organization’s management team with relevant financial data necessary for budgetary and financial decisions. This position is responsible for all accounting and bookkeeping management and procedures, oversees information technology, and handles all of the organization’s day-to-day accounting transactions.
The position is based in Syracuse, NY.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintain efficient, up-to-date accounting, payment, and record systems, with complete and appropriate documentation.
2. Supervise the handling of all day-to-day accounting activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll, inventory integrity, fixed asset records, operations, etc.
3. Oversee accounts receivable, accounts payable, account reconciliations, and general ledger.
4. Prepare financial analyses, monthly balance sheets, cash flow, and income and expense statements.
5. Manage relationships with banks, auditors, insurance agents, and other finance vendor contacts.
6. Oversee the preparation of Form 990 and other tax/regulatory forms and required reports including correspondence with appropriate tax authorities.
7. Assist the management team in the preparation of annual budgets/forecasts.
8. Provide leadership for the finance department, President/CEO, senior management, and the board of directors on matters relating to generally accepted accounting principles, internal control standards, cost control measures, and revenue opportunities.
9. Coordinate the annual financial statement and audit activities (interim and final), including preparation and review of audit schedules, working with the auditors, and ensuring adherence to agreed-upon timelines.
10. Maintain oversight of payroll and ADP functions, review payroll input and output for completeness and accuracy.
11. Oversee the preparation of invoices to funding sources, and actively monitor aging accounts receivable.
12. Monitor and enhance the level of service provided by the finance department to various business units within the organization.
13. Follow through in a timely manner on discrepancies, issues, and reconciling items, proactively advising the President/CEO on internal control implications and remedial actions.
14. Report to the board of directors when necessary in writing and verbally.
15. Oversee and ensure compliance with all tax and regulatory reporting requirements (e.g. preparation of 1099s, W-2s, K-1s).
16. Hold all confidential information such as finances, payroll, personnel, and communication with President/CEO in strict confidence.
17. Other tasks and duties assigned by the President/CEO.
Required Qualifications & Experience:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting. CPA required.
2. 5+ years relevant experience. Previous experience in public accounting, nonprofit and/or government contracting; tax preparation strongly preferred.
3. Computer proficiency; experience with Sage Mas 90 strongly preferred.
4. Analytical—synthesize complex or diverse information.
5. Anticipate, Avoid, and Mitigate Problems—identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, and gather and analyze information skillfully.
6. Oral communication—speak clearly, diplomatically, and persuasively in positive or negative situations, demonstrate group presentation skills, and conduct appropriate meetings.
7. Quality management—look for ways to improve and promote quality, and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
8. Judgment—display willingness to make decisions, exhibit sound and accurate judgment, and make timely decisions.
9. Excellent organizational skills and interpersonal skills, including ability to resolve disputes and observe confidentiality. Positive attitude a must.
10. Job offer is contingent on passing a pre-employment background check.