The Grants writer will be responsible for all aspects of grant writing including prospecting, writing and deadline management as well as relationship management. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Grants writer will also be a key person on the Development team, assisting with researching funding opportunities for ProLiteracy, and working with the team on various appeals.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Develops relationships and collaborates with key institutional stakeholders.
2. Maintains proficient knowledge of ProLiteracy’s history and programs as well as displays an understanding of growth strategy.
3. Assists with the execution of development department’s strategy.
4. Identifies grant funding opportunities.
5. Writes, submits and manages grant proposals.
6. Maintains records and manages deadlines relevant to stewarding institutional funders and grants.
7. Maintains grant prospecting schedule.
8. Leads grant meetings, including brainstorming, proposal development and implementation meetings for hand-off.
9. Support the development and institutionalization of consistent processes for grants management and reporting, including programmatic and financial.
10. Strategizes and manages Development’s corporate and foundation relationships, working with staff to appropriately assign and manage relationships and resources, including promotion and execution of deliverables.
11. Manages a caseload of corporate and foundation relationships, which may include travel, conference calls and other interactions to maximize the relationship.
Funding Opportunities Research
12. Monitors current public and private sector donor priorities and general domestic and international grant-making trends.
13. Conducts research to identify public and private sector donor prospects domestically and internationally. Identifies prospective corporate foundations and develops an outreach strategy and timeline for each.
14. Performs other duties as assigned, including travel.
1. Work with key staff to secure and fulfill sponsorships for ProLiteracy’s biennial conference.
2. Assist with creation and execution of direct mail appeals, online appeals, innovative fundraising ideas, new ventures in fundraising and prospect research.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in creative writing, journalism or related field.
2. Very strong writing abilities especially for grants and letters.
3. Exceptional project management skills with proven multi-tasking and time management abilities
4. Exemplary communication skills.
5. Ability to meet and manage deadlines.
6. Five years successful experience in grant research and proposal writing.
7. Interest in ProLiteracy’s mission and a dedication to promoting the organization’s fundraising priorities.
8. Successful experience with the full grants cycle.
9. Must have excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated record of completing assignments.
10. Knowledge of fundraising information sources and grants databases.