Leaders set direction, develop an inspiring vision, motivate others, and ultimately create change. They map out the who, what, where, when, why, and how of being successful as a team or organization./p>
The Cleveland Leadership Center in Cleveland, Ohio, runs a 10-month program, Leadership Cleveland, for senior-level positional leaders who have the skills, knowledge and relationships to help their communities prosper.
Participants represent a dynamic group of experienced leaders from a wide range of public, private, and nonprofit organizations. The Leadership Cleveland 2018 class recognizes 65 individuals, including one who leads a valued member program of ProLiteracy and who has helped make a profound impact on adult literacy in Cleveland—Seeds of Literacy Executive Director Bonnie Entler.
A Leader in Adult Literacy
Since 2003, Entler has helped Seeds of Literacy thrive.
“We are proud that Bonnie has been chosen for this program. She has done an amazing job leading Seeds, and this is a great opportunity. This year, Seeds celebrates its 20th anniversary. Since 1997, many literacy agencies have closed, but Seeds has flourished under Bonnie’s leadership.”
- Paul Etzler, president of Seeds of Literacy’s board of directors
Seeds of Literacy [link: https://www.seedsofliteracy.org/ ] is a nonprofit organization that has been providing basic education and GED® test preparation services to adult learners in Cleveland for 20 years. While 66 percent of adults in Cleveland are functionally illiterate, Seeds of Literacy makes strides every year to help reduce this number. Annually, the organization helps over 900 adults gain the literacy skills they need to be successful and live a quality life.
Under Entler’s leadership, Seeds of Literacy has gained the following local, regional, and national recognition:
- 2016 Philanthropy Tank Winner—Runner-up, African-American Philanthropy Summit
- 2016 Dominion Community Impact Award Winner
- 2016 National Outstanding Administrator of the Year Award—Runner Up, Commission on Adult Basic Education
- 2016 National Adult Learner of the Year, Coalition on Adult Basic Education—Seeds Graduate
- 2015 State Administrator of the Year, Ohio Association of Adult and Continuing Education
- 2014 Who to Watch in Education—Crain’s Cleveland Business
- 2014 Court Community Service Richard Aldine Award for Nonprofit Excellence for Volunteer Activities
- 2014 Nonprofit Best Practice, Governor Kasich’s Office of Faith Based and Community Initiatives—Bright Ideas Ohio
- 2013 Anisfield-Wolf Memorial Award for Outstanding Nonprofit Service
- 2013 Dollar General National Student of the Year Award Winner—Seeds Graduate
- 2008 R.S.V.P. Outstanding Agency
Thank you for all that you do for adult education, Seeds of Literacy.
Are you a ProLiteracy member? Let us hear your story, tell us about any exciting recent events, or share stories from you students and volunteers. Let us share your impact with everyone.